Skip to main content

Chinese Language Week - Day 2 - Tuesday

In researching how to write Tuesday in "Chinese" I was aware there are at least 3 languages including Shanghainese, Cantonese and Mandarin. It's not as straight forward as that. Earlier, I chose a translation that I thought was dragon in a class activity today. The fluent Cantonese and Mandarin speakers in my class did not recognise the symbol. I was embarrassed that I had made a mistake which is one of the pitfalls of cross-cultural analysis. There are always positive outcomes for every situation and we were able to have a discussion about where the symbol may have originated. Another positive outcome is that I am extremely aware of my cultural limitations. So this will result in me asking more questions, seeking more input from experts in our class and in the community. As you can see, I was not confident enough in what I found on the internet to use it in my blog title. An opportunity for further learning. One of the challenges this week is to; LEARN - the signs of the zodiac and find that sign that corresponds to your birth year. CREATE - an image of your sign including the name and year. SHARE - with your teacher or your blog. Here is Room 21's first submission. Ka pai Chloe.



Comments

  1. Ka pai, Ms Corbett. A genuine moment of reflection for you. I had a similar situation last year with one of my learners- thinking I was giving them tools to learn in their language but really it was something entirely different. I can relate to that feeling of embarrassment. I think you can pull a true teaching moment from that for yourself and the students.
    Awesome work, Chloe! I was there when she drew that, she looked very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences with learning and the excellent advice Mr Jones.
    Thank you for your contribution in supporting our bubble kids. Chloe can be very proud of her work. I am also proud of her resilience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tennis

This is our second tennis lesson with Lucian.  We practiced our forehand returns.  We enjoyed our lesson with Lucian.

Te Wiki o Te Reo Maori Pepeha video - A koha from staff and students to our community

Screenshot from the video.   We hope you enjoy the video that Room 21 contributed to along with New Windsor School staff members.  

Calendar Art

For our calendar art, we studied what makes a great photo. We looked at different techniques: fill the frame, rule of thirds, lines frame the shot, high angle, low angle and horizon lines. After planning our shot we took photos. Can you see the different photo techniques? Last day to order calendars: Friday 23rd September.